Favorite Films Directed By Women

Every March, I focus on watching films directed by women. I've made numerous wonderful discoveries that I hope to share with others.

There is the question of distinguishing between genders of a director. That most likely should not be done, as the work usually speaks for itself. However, being that women are often underrepresented and/or ignored, I feel I should pick up the slack.
Kyle Meyers asked me about my favorite films directed by women, so here is my top list:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/personalitytest/tlc/cleo906.png
  1. Cléo de 5 à 7/Cléo from 5 to 7 (Agnès Varda)
  2. Les demoiselles de Rochefort (Agnès Varda, co-directed with husband Jacques Demy)
  3. Les gens normaux n'ont rien d'exceptionnel (Laurence Ferreira Barbosa)
  4. Museum Highlights (Andrea Fraser
  5. Merrily We Go to Hell (Dorothy Arzner)
  6. My Life Without Me (Isabel Coixet)
  7. Nathalie... (Anne Fontaine)
  8. La teta asustada/The Milk of Sorrow (Claudia Llosa)
  9. An Education (Lone Scherfig)
  10. Mères et filles/Hidden Diary (Julie Lopes-Curval)
  11. La répétition (Catherine Corsini)
  12. Une vraie jeune fille (Catherine Breillat)
  13. Sedmikrásky/Daisies (Vera Chytilová)
  14. Tomboy (Céline Sciamma)
  15. White Material (Claire Denis)
  16. Film d'amore e d'anarchia, ovvero 'stamattina alle 10 in via dei Fiori nella nota casa di tolleranza...'/Love and Anarchy (Lina Wertmüller)
  17. Working Girls (Dorothy Arzner)
  18. Les glaneurs et la glaneuse/The Gleaners & I (Agnès Varda)
  19. Coup de foudre/Entre Nous (Diane Kurys)
  20. Chaos (Coline Serreau)
  21. Naissance des pieuvres/Water Lilies (Céline Sciamma)
  22. American Mary (Jen Soska, Sylvia Soska)
  23. Thèmes et variations (Germaine Dulac)
(originally published May 19, 2011)

Comments

I must confess that I have not seen most of these but I will try to find them and check them out. Thank you for your list!

Popular Posts