Top Films (July & August 2015)

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/cinemabecomesher/TOP-Polytechnique.png

Polytechnique (2009, Denis Villeneuve)
It blew me away.

Io la conoscevo bene/I Knew Her Well (1965, Antonio Pietrangeli)
A light film that really captures the lightheartedness of the sixties.

The Stanford Prison Experiment (2015, Kyle Patrick Alvarez)
The film was low-budget, but featured great acting from the students who portrayed guards and prisoners in an experiment at Stanford. Based on true story, I wish this movie had been around when I was in college. Instead, we watched videos hosted by Philip Zimbardo (the leader of this experiment). Knowing what Philip Zimbardo looks and sounds like, I was a little bit disappointed by Billy Crudup's portrayal of him. The hair and make-up was authentic, but Crudup did not emulate Zimbardo's accent. But for what it was, it was very entertaining and kept me on the edge of my seat, even though I knew the story. 

Irrational Man (2015, Woody Allen)
The mixed reviews have been pretty unfair. Rarely do you get a choice film from a comedic director that explores a moral dilemma. I could see how someone could be disappointed with it, however, I was not. 

L'Homme à l'imperméable/The Man in the Raincoat (1957,  Julien Duvivier)
Duvivier is a master filmmaker. He creates this mystery beautifully. It's highly recommended.

Short film: Café (1990, Gretchen Somerfeld)

 
Cafe by Gretchen Somerfeld from gretchen somerfeld on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular Posts