Angst vor der Angst /Fear of Fear (1975, Rainer Werner Fassbinder)

Image

Rating: 4/4 stars, 10/10, 96/100
Rank: #14 (Top Favorites)

A woman’s life is driving her crazy. Something most people might be able to relate to. A mesmerizing tale with an unexpected ending (at least to me), this work is different from most of Fassbinder’s stuff, yet such a great example of what he was capable of.

Fun quotes from the movie:

Margot: Tell me I'm being hysterical, please!
-
Margot: Heavens, I have two kids and I’m going insane!

Margot: Recently I’ve been feeling scared. It’s very strange. I have no idea why.
-
Margot: I’d like to take Bibi out of kindergarten.
-
Margot: Swimming’s good for you. All doctors say that. All of them.
-
Margot: I don’t complain.
-
Margot: I never learned a word that could express it.
-
Margot: There’s a lot I don’t understand. I don’t want you to fear me.
Kurt: You really are strange. Now you’re talking about fear. I wish I knew what goes on in your head.
-
Margot: My children have a sick mother…a stranger. That can’t be.
-
Margot: I want to hear myself scream so I know I exist.
-
Margot: You talk and talk, but what I need is help.
-
Dr. Merck: Something’s wrong. You can trust me. I’ll give you the Valium. For you I’d go to prison. But please, tell me why you need it. You have such pretty hair. It smells lovely.
Margot: I think I should go now.
Dr. Merck: You mustn’t blame yourself.
-
Mutter: You think you’re so chic, but you’re killing the kids.
-
Margot: I don’t need you anymore Dr. Merck. I know what I need now. Cognac, that’s all. Alcohol is what I need. Alcohol and nothing more.
-
Margot: What did he say?
Kurt: Nothing dear. Nothing really.
Margot: He thinks I wanted to kill myself. but it’s not true. I simply wanted to feel the pain. I wanted to take my mind off my fear.
-
Lore: She’s crazy? I always knew something was wrong with her.
Mutter: Well, always taking Valium and everything else. What did you expect? And all that cuddling and kissing with the kids. It’s not normal!
Kurt: Hold on. It’s normal for a mother to be tender with her kids.
Lore: Normal? Who’s normal? We’re the normal ones. And one day she’ll burn the place down, believe me.
-
Karli: Let her bitch. She’ll get over it.

Comments

Popular Posts